Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Grrrr

OK, here's where my lowly admin's point of view comes into play. It has been yet another fun day at the office. I wait all day for documents that I was told we were sending to our Regional Director that have been sitting on the Vice President's desk. I have been in and out of his office pestering him for them. I have been back and forth with the Property Manager because she needs them signed so that we can have invoices totaling over $100K paid. (I composed this Amendment two weeks ago and it's been in limbo since).

So, five o'clock rolls around (quitting time) and it's still not on my desk. Fed-Ex has come and gone ,and I'm prepared to take it to Fed-Ex myself. I've been once again in the VP's office to pick up the paperwork. He's been on the phone.

Five-twenty rolls around...I'm back in the VP's office. "It's not going." Apparently, sometime between 4:30 and 5:00 (before the last phone call he received) this was decided. He told the PM, but not me. So, I have to cancel the shipment. Of course, I could have done this at 4:30, when it was decided that the documents were not going. For some reason, I'm the last to find out. It's always like that. I'm responsible to organizing everything, and get reprimanded when something falls through the cracks, yet I'm not never in the loop when decisions affecting my job are made.

So, those of you who have admins now...and those of you who will be using them often...take note. I really don't appreciate having my time wasted any more than you do. I don't appreciate being called out for a mistake or oversight when my own boss can't find the time or have the courtesy to pass on needed information. Yes, I know in this case it was only a Fed-Ex shipment, but when I don't get paid overtime because I'm salaried, and I have children waiting for me to pick them up, I feel a bit put-out.

Well, that's my gripe for the day.

And if that's all I have to complain about, I will consider myself lucky.

2 comments:

red.hot.mamma! said...

my theory is that there's a certain level of idiocy that accompanies upper management that only those of us who have been admins can truly understand. my brother, who works for a large company, calls it "promoting to incompetence."

Steve said...

Peter Principle.