Sunday, November 27, 2005

Long weekends

Ah, Thanksgiving weekend is almost over. It actually made me thankful that I have a job to go to. It's been a fun filled four days, with the kiddoes couped up for longer than they are used to. On the bright side, they did not fill the bathroom with water again. I'm not sure what they are up to now, but something tells me that ignorance is bliss....

We had the usually Turkey day fair, created by yours truely. I do cook a good bird, by the way. I started on putting everything together Tuesday,by doing all of the chopping of the veggies for the stuffing and for the broth and roasted veggie portion of the gravy. I chopped the nuts for the stuffing and the sweet potatoe (a la Quayle) casserole--one of the best but positively worth heath-wise. I'm not talking canned yams with marshmallows. I'm talking sweet potatoes, cream, eggs and spices with a pecan and brown sugar crumb topping. Mmmmmmmm. This was in addition to green bean casserole with a kick, rolls (OK, I cheat here and use premade, heat 'n serve ones), sage and onion stuffing made from homemade bread crumbs, cranberry sauce, and apple pie.j (<----the "j" is DD's contribution. "I need gotta push 'j'.") I had everything done by 3 p.m. Thursday afternoon. And the feasting commenced.

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb(<-----also added by DD. "I need gotta push 'b' one time.")

I finally had to check to see what the boy children were up to... They have unloaded all of the shoes from the shoe box by the front door and are sending them flying with the sit 'n spin. At least they aren't playing in traffic and the sit n' spin is getting some use. Thank goodness for that!

8 comments:

Steve said...

I like how you take credit for all this "hard" work you did. It took you, what, two days? It took me an entire summer to grow the wheat to grind into flour to make the bread you used to make the breadcrumb stuffing, not to mention growing the sweet potatoes, green beans, pecans, and spices.

And of course, I had to raise the turkey. And then slaughter it and dress it. Yeah, you worked real hard.

Kirsten said...

Yes, Steve, you did a good job keeping the kids out of my hair while I was opening and closing the oven.

Michelle said...

Kirsten thanks for the encouragement!
Mmmmmmm, that sweet potato casserole sounds delicous! You may have just inspired me to make one just like it Christmas Day!

LOL, Steve, Law School is not working you hard enough!

Michelle said...

Kirsten, i spent over an hour on here having fun with facials! There is so much to choose from, i have to come back on the weekend and look again. None of the models has my hair coloring so i have to go by skin tone and eye color!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Kirsten, you made my day. Stories of your children, and Steve's children (not always the same children, I understand) make me laugh out loud. I believe it was Steve's children you left untied and who flooded the bathroom? The same ones who were launching shoes with the sit and spin... YOUR childrenk on the other hand, are the ones who read quietly, cooperate, and help around the house. But I really love all of those children, including several you and Steve may not have even thought of yet!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I think Steve has himself confused with the Little Red Hen.

Weary Hag said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Weary Hag said...

Okay ... way to go Blogger for losing my entire comment that I just posted here. GRRRR.

Basically what I ever-so-sarcastically said was that it was great of Steve to keep the kids out of your way while you sweated over a hot oven and stove all day long. And to think the poor man also had to endure sitting down and eating a delicious 'scratch cooked' meal too ... how's he do it?
:)

That casserole sounds scrumptious! Maybe Michelle and I could actually bribe you for the recipe (amounts, etc) sometime before Christmas?