Friday, March 03, 2006

Googling

Well, I'll be... I just googled my blog and it does not show up. Hmmmph. The links of me on others' sites are there, but not my actually site. Mostly, I am merely a snippet of lyrics to some Green Day song. What did I do to irritate the Lords of Google-ville?

I have no idea why I have such an obsession with Google. I remember way back in they day when I was anti-computer. I didn't have one in college, as I used my trusty Brother word processor that "printed" using one of those daisy wheels, just like an electric type-writer. (Hard to believe that was more than 10 years ago!) My parents were surfing the net long before I did. My other two online obsessions, lately (well, other than blogging about my husband's jokes and loading up virtual shopping carts with items I will never buy), is Wikipedia and Dictionary.com. How did I live without them before? Heaven forbid I ever wander into a library to open a real, live, hard-bound encyclopedia. Or dig out my old, trusty, red Webster's Dictionary. I rarely even use my Thesaurus that I won as one of the top scholars in high school (I wasn't quite scholarly enough to win one of the scholarships--I mean, I wasn't a geek, after all!) because I use the thesaurus feature on MS Word instead.

This isn't to mean that I don't love books. I have them all over the place, to which my DH will attest. Shelves and more shelves and counters and tables of them. My kids seem to have inherited this love, too. I certainly will never complain about that, except when they use them to build forts in the living room.

7 comments:

Steve said...

Books. You're obsessed with books. you actually have books on books. Your books have taken control of the living room and are making headway into the dining room and master bedroom.

Perhaps you should play Google-stomp (I think that's the name of it). I saw it on Particleman's site. The object is to take two words and google them together, and keep trying different combos of words until you get one with only one search hit.

Justine said...

in this context, googling seems quite ok to me. Carry on!
:-)

Lois Lane said...

Click here:
http://www.technorati.com/search/onestepsideways.blogspot.com%2F
(or copy and paste)
That search engine shows who is linked to you and no Greeny Day songs to confuse you with. :)
Have a great weekend!
Lois Lane

Cassie said...

have you tried typing "failure" into google and hitting the "I'm feeling lucky" button? I got that from Gramma I think.

Kirsten said...

That was hilarious, Cassie!

Kirsten said...

"liar" takes you to Tony Blair.

Michelle said...

Well of course Kirsten you know my opinion of Google!
No one will find me via Google either. To be found you must enter your blog via Google on it's page rank ( i think, it's something like that, if you don't physically enter it you won't be found).

Wikipedia is wonderful :)

Google should be banned ;)